Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Letter to Consul General Hon. Ezzedin H. Tago of Jeddah, KSA

Below is an email to the Consul General Hon. (Mr.) Ezzedin H. Tago of the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at pc.jeddah@gmail.com, philcongen@pcgjeddah.com, courtesy copied to H.E. (Mr.) Antonio P. Villamor, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, KSA at pe.riyadh@dfa.gov.ph, filembry@sbm.net.sa, and to the Office of the Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines at vp@ovp.gov.ph. Please spend some times reading it.

Hon. (Mr.) Ezzedin H. Tago
Consul General

Dear Sir,

My name is Ranie F. Cuaresma, working as an Overseas Filipino Worker with Saudi Diyar Consultants – Architects and Engineers here in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and holder of a Philippine Passport No. XX00000 issued on 02 August 2008 at DFA Regional Office 1, San Fernando, La Union.

I would like to call your attention concerning the attitude/behavior/treatment of one of your embassy staff, and I want to relate to you the whole story:

That on 02 January 2010 at around 1:05 P.M. Saudi time, I called up this mobile number “0096614823615” believing it to be the contact number of the Philippine Embassy in Jeddah, as this number was sent to my mobile phone by the Mobily Telecommunication Company as a welcome message and information when I arrived in this foreign soil. My call was received and entertained by a “male” (voice) attendant.

That the purpose of my calling to above-quoted DFA contact number was to inquire about where to take the qualifying examination for Foreign Service jobs so I can apply for a possible post in our foreign embassies most particularly here in Saudi Arabia. I further told him that I cannot find in the DFA website (www.dfa.gov.ph) what exactly I was looking for, however, I further said that I have read about the Board of Foreign Service Examination in the said website believing that this is another kind of examination only for those graduates of Foreign Service course, so I decided to inquire in our Philippine Embassy through phone. The said male attendant who received my call clarified to me that this (Board of Foreign Service Examination) is the same examination I am looking for which I already understood at the onset of his explanations. However, at the middle of our conversations, he deliberately and intentionally uttered these words “ANO PA BA ANG GUSTO NIYO?” with the unpleasant, discourteous and disrespectful tune. I was a little bit flabbergasted so I asked him, “Anong ibig mong sabihin na ‘ano pa ba ang gusto ko?’” He replied, “ANO PA BA ANG GUSTO NIYONG MALAMAN?” with almost the same high-pitched voice. I sensed his being disrespectful to me which caused me to immediately stop our conversations, and with all the due respect I said, “A, akala ko kasi ibang eksaminasyon ito. But anyhow, you gave me the correct information. Thank you!”

My concern is to get the attention of this person, and perhaps a wake-up call to some of your embassy employees abroad to give at least the due respect to whoever is asking for help in their respective offices without discrimination in the name of public service, morality and ethics. We Filipinos abroad have nobody to trust, rely and ask for help, information or assistance that concerns our problems, issues and cases than our embassies and consulates. Their posts are not licenses to treat the least fortunate OFW’s unworthy of their attention and help. What’s more if those people calling for their help have lesser temper and lower education? They must remember that their offices are for public services and are public trusts.

May the guidance of the Divine Providence be always with us all.

Sincerely yours,
Ranie Cuaresma

No comments:

Post a Comment